Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sins of the PO

Let’s talk Something Else before me. The prior owner (PO), Henry, was the 2nd owner of Something Else. He bought her in the mid 90’s. Henry was a CPA in Chula Vista California and enjoyed spending his free time sailing Something Else. In his office was a large picture of him and his son aboard Something Else off the coast of Mexico. He was obviously proud of both his son and daughter who were now adults. He wanted them to have Something Else. Henry was older, and had prostrate cancer. He was no longer able to really take care of the boat let alone enjoy it. But the kids didn’t want or have time for Something Else. He didn’t want to but he had to let Something Else go to a stranger.

In 2008 something else was put up for sale. The economy in the US was tumbling and so were the boat prices. In the UK GK29 prices were listed for around ₤15,000 or $22,000 depending on the exchange rate. Henry’s price for Something Else kept going down but nobody bought her. I started looking at sailboats in 2010. I looked at mostly Ericson’s and Catalina’s. When I saw the ad for Something Else the price was down to $6,500.

I went to look at Something Else in August 2010. It was “love” at first sight. I offered $5,000 and Henry accepted without hesitation. Henry was to have prostrate surgery the next week and that weighed heavy on his mind.


I was a new owner of a 1978 Westerly GK29 Half Tonner. I knew she was a fixer upper. A little TLC and she would be an awesome sailboat. Since then I’ve heard several times that “they” have seen better boat cut up and thrown in a dumpster. I guess love is blind.


Something Else in Chula Vista

Henry recovered from his surgery and helped me with logistics with the boat since I lived more than 100 miles away. A lot of work was required to prep Something Else for the sail up to Long Beach. In October 2010 a few guys were helping me with the final prep for the trip. I invited the crew and Henry to dinner at the marina restaurant as a Thank You for all the help. The beer and conversation flowed freely. Henry and I were talking about boat insurance. He was shocked I only paid $75 per year. I explained it was only liability insurance. To which he replied “I was so glad I had full coverage insurance when the boat sank”. I’ve never been so shocked!

Thus began what I call the sins of the PO. Any past transgressions I’ve inherited. It was Henry’s… and now its mine. Fortunately I am happy with Something Else, but perhaps I should have bought something else…

1 comment:

  1. I think that you have a very interesting blog. I didn't realize that you would be publishing a page weekly, so I am playing catch up today.

    ReplyDelete