Friday, September 13, 2013

Fix it

The first project was replacement of the mast step. The Half Tonner version of the GK29 is keel stepped. This meaning that the mast goes through the deck and terminates in the bilge just above the keel. The fitting for my mast was corroded almost beyond recognition (Figure 1). Luckily the Selden part number cast into the part was still there. I had no idea of the manufacture or where to find a replacement. An internet search of part number identified the manufacture and where to purchase it. I did not have the yard remove the mast for the step replacement. Instead the mast step was replaced with the mast in situ while the boat was moored in its slip. To lift the mast I built a strongback (Figure 2) on the deck. Straps were attached to the strongback fed thru the mast partners and then attached to a come-along on each side of the mast. The lower end of the come-along was attached to the lower fitting of the mast. A line was tied off low on the mast to prevent the lower part of the mast from moving in the horizontal plane. I had four helpers the day the mast step was replaced. The helpers kept the stays loosened and I was inside working the come-along. Once the mast was lifted about 8 inches (Figure 3) the stainless structure the mast step is attached to was removed. A spacer fabricated from G10 Garolite and installed under the step fitting and sealant was used to prevent future galvanic corrosion (Figure 4). The mast step structure assembly was installed with new stainless hardware. The mast was lowered and stays tightened. This project worked well for me. Quite a bit of static and dynamic analysis was examined to ensure the structural limits of the cabin top were not exceeded and the ability to control and balance the mast while it was raised. I do not recommend this for everybody. Examine all the risk factors and mitigate those risks prior to doing this yourself.




(Figure 1) Extensive corrosion of mast step.  Note attachment screws.
 

(Figure 2) Strong back to support the weight of mast during lift.

(Figure 3)  Mast lifted and structure and step removed.
 
(Figure 4)  Old & New Mast step fitting.


3 comments:

  1. I defer to the master. I'm seriously impressed and hope someone is reading this who understands the technical vocabulary. I also am grateful you didn't undertake this project in your mother's living room ... a motorcycle is one thing, but a sailboat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that I didn't drop the mast (the tall stick thing) and sink the boat. lol.

    The motorcycle in the living room was all Dad's idea and as long as we cleaned up she will never know. lol


    ReplyDelete
  3. I have news for Greg and Kate, a sailboat wouldn't fit in my livingroom here or in Sundance. Plus the logistics of getting the sailboat here, or to Sundance for that matter!!!!????? So I am hopeful that I do not have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete