Friday, October 4, 2013

How I Put a Square Peg in A Round Hole

Something Else had two logs (aka knot meter aka speedometer) one was a mechanical VDO (brand) log on the side of the nav station panel. The second log was older electronic unit on the face of the panel along with the DC circuit breaker panel and light switches. On Something Else the nav station is situated so you sit at the quarter birth facing forward and the panel is in view. I've seen pictures of other GK29 where the panel is on the port side and is viewed from the center cabin. The VDO unit was in a 4 inches hole with a teak trim piece surround. When I removed teak trim piece I tore the wood where it was bonded to the teak casing. It looked pretty bad.




I decided I wanted to put my new VHF radio (Christmas present from Mom... Thanks Mom!) where the VDO gauge was. The radio required a rectangular hole. First I glued a piece of teak to fill up the hole. It still looked ugly. Then I cut the hole for the radio. The radio didn't cover the all of the messed up wood. I looked at allot of alternatives to cover up the mess I made. I decided to fabricate a stainless steel plate to cover the mess.


The open area above the radio will have a DSC (Digital Select Calling) instruction sticker. The stainless looks pretty good buffed up with fine scotch bright. The next owner may remove the radio and look at the mess and think what was the PO thinking (or doing).

No comments:

Post a Comment